The reality of trichotillomania – compulsive hair pulling – is cruel for most sufferers. Brought about in extremely stressful or depressive periods, it can be difficult for others to understand exactly why it happens and in many cases is totally subconscious. Trichotillomania is a serious disorder with serious implications for mental health.
It is important to know that there are treatment options available. The shame and sadness that accompanies periods of compulsive hair pulling should be seen to immediately. The sooner treatment is sought for trichotillomania induced hair loss, the more likely are the treatment options to succeed.
What Is Trichotillomania?
Trichotillomania (the medical name meaning ‘hair-pulling madness’) is a rare and widely misunderstood condition in the category of obsessive-compulsive disorders. Like the name suggests, sufferers have a preoccupation with pulling hair from around the head and face, which may lead to permanent hair loss if not treated quickly.
The condition is thought to affect roughly 1% to 2% of Australians, and quite commonly co-occurs with other mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression. It is important that treatment is sought for the underlying conditions before any hair therapy can begin; doing otherwise can result in less successful treatment.
How Can Trichotillomania Be Treated?
The treatment of trichotillomania hair loss really depends on the severity and duration of the hair pulling. Thanks to advances in the science and technology behind hair loss therapy, even some of the most severe cases of trichotillomania-induced hair loss can be successfully treated.
Advanced Hair Studio has a wide range of treatment options that can be very effective if treatment is sought early. This includes:
- Low Level Laser Therapy: Through the use of clinically safe lasers, blood flow and healing is stimulated, underneath the surface of the skin, to help follicles to regenerate
- Hair Thickening Fibres: Electrostatic bonding of natural keratin fibres to the hair can vastly improve thickness and coverage over damaged areas
- Flashpoints ® Hair Extensions: Extensions attached to natural hair through the use of a sophisticated bonding process to instantly improve volume and thickness
- PRP Stem Cell Therapy: Injections of platelet rich plasma which kick-start the skin’s natural healing mechanisms, giving follicles the chance to heal at an accelerated rate
Unfortunately, what can happen as a result of extensive hair pulling, is that hair follicles begin to close-up and scar from the repeated damage. In such cases, hair transplants are highly recommended. This clinically safe minor procedure simply relocates healthy, non-scarred follicles by implanting them where they are most needed.
Contact Advanced Hair Studio United Kingdom For Help With Trichotillomania
Over 1 Million people around the world have had their lives changed by our treatments. We know they work because we have seen it first hand, and we have hundreds of thousands of happy customers who are prepared to back our expertise.
Restore your confidence today:
- Call Advanced Hair Studio on 0845 600 8899
- Book a Complimentary Advanced Hair Check
- Complete our online consultation form