When we think of hair, we think of all the individual strands on our heads and elsewhere. That’s only half of the story. In fact, did you know that every strand of hair that we can actually see is dead? The living part lives just under the surface of the skin, and that’s known as the hair follicle.
What Is A Hair Follicle?
The hair follicle is a sebaceous gland, attached to a strand of hair, responsible for its growth. It is a collection of around 20 different cell types meshed with connective tissue, every one of which combines to grow your hair.
Hair follicles are found on every surface of the human body, with the exception of the palms, lips, soles and feet.
Areas of the human body with a high concentration of hair – like the scalp – also typically have the greatest number of hair follicles.
Why They Matter
Hair follicles are the beginning and the end of the hair growth story. They are responsible for the three distinct phases of the hair growth cycle:
- Anagen: the active growth phase of hair, in which healthy hair grows roughly 0.5 inches a month for 3 to 5 years
- Catagen: a short, 1 to 2 week transitional phase
- Telogen: a resting phase in which your hair naturally falls out and begins to shed, which takes approximately 3 to 4 months
For a healthy person, the cycle is completely natural. Hair growing, shedding, and regrowing is a normal process. When the cycle is disrupted however, it’s a genuine cause for concern.
The hair follicle, and the maintenance of its health are the single most important factors in understanding, preventing and treating hair loss.
The Disruption of the Hair Follicle Growth Cycle
Although sometimes the disruption of the growth cycle can be sudden and unprovoked, in many instances there are early warning signs and risk factors which can predict an unhealthy hair follicle.
- Natural issues such as metabolic disorders; hormonal imbalances; vitamin deficiencies and poor nutrition
- Lifestyle factors like sudden stress, grief, emotional discomfort or other negative emotions
How We Can Take Care of Your Follicles
Unhealthy hair follicles, and the resultant disruption of the hair growth cycle can also lead to extremely negative emotions. This has the potential to create a feedback loop of hair loss and negativity, which can be hard to get out of.
Advanced Hair Studio has unlocked the secrets to healthy hair follicle maintenance. Hair loss treatment isn’t just reactive, it can and should be preventative. Even if it may not seem like you’re experiencing hair loss issues, your hair follicles could be in trouble.
Take our Advanced Hair Check today, so that we can put your mind at ease.
Restore your confidence today:
- Call Advanced Hair Studio on 0845 600 8899
- Book a Complimentary Advanced Hair Check
- Complete our online consultation form