At some point or another in our lives, there’s a very high likelihood of developing an issue with infected hair follicles. It’s not something to be embarrassed about – it’s just a fact of life. Too often though, infected hair follicle issues are swept under the rug or dismissed as unimportant. This is dangerous, and can lead to wide-ranging, long-term, and sometimes irreversible hair care issues in the future.
What is a Hair Follicle?
The term ‘hair follicle’ refers to an organ composed of a group of various different cell types, which combine to form what we think of as a hair (both the parts we can see and those beneath the surface). It’s responsible for hair and hair growth. It’s composed of four distinct parts:
- The papilla, the base of the hair follicle
- The hair matrix, which surrounds the papilla
- The root sheath, both internal and external
- The bulge
Types of Hair Follicle Infections
In addition to well-known diseases of the hair follicle such as alopecia, the hair follicle can also become infected in a variety of ways.
An infected hair follicle is known as folliculitis. Folliculitis is most commonly a bacterial or fungal infection, that may present itself in the form of white-and-red bumps which look like pimples. Other symptoms include having a persisting itch or rash, as well as painful skin.
The most common types of folliculitis are:
- Bacterial folliculitis: one of the most common, occurs from infection by the staphylococcus aureus bacteria
- Razor bumps: when shaving too close, men and women can develop ingrown hairs, which in turn can lead to the development of razor bumps
- Pityrosproum folliculitis: the onset of itchy red pustules resulting from a yeast infection
Understandably, these infections make people feel uncomfortable – physically and emotionally. It’s important not to be embarrassed by these infections. We need to understand that infected hair follicles can affect even the most hygienic people.
Risk Factors and Consequences
Having said that, there are still several important risk factors that are worth keeping in mind, in order to increase chances of prevention.
- Shaving too close to the skin
- Having thick, curly hair
- Having a medical condition such as HIV or diabetes, which increase susceptibility to infection
- Taking baths in unclean bathtubs
The consequences of folliculitis have the potential to be disastrous. They can lead to recurring infections, irreparable skin damage – and even the destruction of hair follicles and hair loss.
How Advanced Hair Studio Can Help
Luckily, Advanced Hair Studio has a range of solutions and treatments to deal with the fallout of folliculitis.
Our online store stocks a range of products like our Laser Hair Growth Treatment, AHS-FP Program or our Stem Cell Program that can put you on the path to successful hair regrowth.
Don’t let infected hair follicles get the better of you.
Contact Advanced Hair Studio to Treat Your Infected Hair Follicles
With over 45-years’ experience and 1 Million happy clients around the world, we know how to fix your infected hair follicles. Once you begin treatment with us, you‘ll never look back—you’ll be in control of your appearance and your future.
Restore your confidence today:
- Call Advanced Hair Studio on 0845 600 8899
- Book a Complimentary Advanced Hair Check
- Complete our online consultation form